Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sheer Terror

I just spent almost $500 on a blender:

  • Vitamix 5200 Blender: $449
  • Los Angeles Tax: $4.74
  • California Tax: $33.18
  • For a grand total of: 492.85


Oh lordy. Now, mind you:

  • I'm a lifelong Vitamix fan
  • My last Vitamix (a 3600+) lasted for 20 years (and was used when I got it -- these are seriously well-built machines)
  • I use the Vitamix at least once a day, so I really do need a serious blender
  • I got free shipping
  • If I change my mind, the new machine has a 30 day return policy, including free return shipping
  • The standard warranty is 7 years
  • My deal included an additional year on the warranty, making it 8 years


Nonetheless, I'm feeling some panic about the whole situation -- $500 is a lot to spend on a small appliance. We used what we call our "fun money" -- the extra income that comes in through ad revenues, mostly on my husband's sites. And, to alleviate my guilt, I told him to count it as my mother's day and anniversary present. Still, it's a lot of money.

Needless to say, I'll be posting here to let you know if I love the new machine as much as I did the old one.

Eek.

3 comments:

  1. A "small" appliance, but a workhorse that'll do more for you than your stove! :) Congrats on the purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big affirmation on this. I spent $1700 on a new bed recently. When you use something every day, get what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it makes you feel any better, my dear, I promise it'll buy itself back tenfold! Truly. But I know what a sacrifice it is...

    ReplyDelete