Monday, January 12, 2009

Days Nine, Ten and into Eleven

I've been eating a lot of heavier raw foods in the past couple of days (ie, heavy on the nuts and seeds), both because I was running low on dark, leafy greens and because I had a surplus of foods as a result of (un)cooking -- a lot of raw recipes seem to make large quantities, especially if you are the only one in the household eating them. Here are a few of the things in my larder at the moment:

These dishes, which some raw enthusiasts consider "transition foods," are yummy but eating too much of them makes my energy feel less clean and crisp than when I am eating higher amounts of greens. Maybe the folks that call them transition foods have something. Or, as my husband puts it, though completely from a omnivore's perspective, "your food has too many quotes around it."

An omnivore he may be, but he's also supportive: he made a run to Trader Joe's last night to stock me up on bags of organic spinach, romaine, and mixed greens. Of course, he also picked up some of their Angus Beef Cheeseburger Sliders for himself!

I don't know that I'll ever transition completely out of these so-called transition foods, but I'll let my body and tastebuds decide -- that's what happened decades ago when I became a vegetarian: at first I loved fake meat products; now I can't stand most of them. For those of you also transitioning, here are a couple of recipes from the last couple of days:


Raw Mashed "Potatoes"

Got the idea for this from this recipe, though mine is pretty different:

Place in vitamix and blend until smooth and creamy:
  • Cauliflower, destemmed with leaves removed
  • Organic cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
  • onion powder
  • celtic sea salt
  • mustard powder

Add until mixture reaches desired consistency:
  • Water
  • Brazil nut milk




Raw Snack Mix

Mix together and place in dehydrator at 105 degrees until crunchy:



Here's what I've been eating:
Day Nine:
  • 10:30 am: 2 raw autumn squash cookies
  • noon: Nut milk smoothie (brazil nut milk, raw sour cream, banana, organic apple, organic kale stalks leftover from making kale chips, homegrown satsuma, cinnamon) and open-faced sandwich (raw raisin bread, sliced banana, raw almond butter)
  • 3:45 pm: Carrot smoothie (half a dozen organic carrots with tops, mango, satsuma, juice of half a homegrown lemon, cinnamon) and Kale chips
  • 6:30 pm: Raw chili with half an avocado, raw sour cream, Celtic sea salt and mineral water

Day Ten:
  • 8 am: Raw snack mix
  • 9:30 am: Raw granola and brazil nut milk
  • 1:30 pm: Raw mashed "potatoes" and Ani Phyo's scramble
  • 3 pm: Mango
  • 3:30 pm: Raw Autumn Squash Cookie
  • 4 pm: Open-faced sandwich (raw raisin bread, sliced banana, raw almond butter)
  • 6:45 pm: Green Smoothie (1/2 bag organic spinach, banana, organic pear, juice of 1/2 homegrown lemon) and Raw Tacos (Romaine leaves filled with raw chili, raw sour cream, chopped organic tomatoes, sliced avocado, and hot sauce, which wasn't raw)
  • 10 pm: Salted Peanuts (not raw)

Day Eleven:
  • 8:30 am: Green smoothie (6 oz. bag of organic spinach, banana, juice of 1 homegrown lemon)

No comments:

Post a Comment