Saturday, January 10, 2009

Days Seven, Eight, and into Nine

Feeling a little rough this morning because I didn't sleep well last night -- I must have swallowed a pill wrong because I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like something was scraping its way all the way down my throat. This is the sort of morning I really crave coffee to give me that extra kick to get started.

I posted the other day on the Give it to me Raw forums requesting advice for a substitute drink -- several folks mentioned green drinks, another wheat grass, one even said a daily wheat grass enema! I'm not sure if they were joking or not, but either way I'm not sure I'll ever be ready for that one.

Unfortunately this morning I'm out of dark leafy greens to make a truly green drink or smoothie. At least one person suggested it was better to juice than drink a green smoothie in the morning "because it gets some nutrients in me without having to wake up my digestion right away" so I experimented with straining before drinking (I have a Vitamix but not a juicer). I avoided fruits in this concoction because I didn't want to spike my blood sugar without the fiber to slow it down, and the result was sort of awful. I threw half away. From what I have read the appeal of greens without adulteration may increase with time.

I've been (un)cooking alot in the past few days, including whipping up another batch of autumn squash cookies, though this time I threw in some brazil nuts and cashews as well as a carrot. I also made a wonderful batch of Kale chips. I've made these before -- I'm not sure where I got the original recipe, but I think it was this one because it seems closest to my version before I tweaked it:




Raw Pomona's Variation: Kale Chips


In the food processor or Vitamix:

  • Cilantro – qtr to ½ cup
  • tahini – qtr cup
  • cider vinegar – qtr cup
  • juice of one lemon
  • garlic clove
  • half cup water
  • qtr cup braggs
  • pinch Celtic Sea salt


De-spine a couple bunches of Kale, toss with dressing, then massage into leaves. Dehydrate.



These are ridiculously wonderful.

I also made up a batch of sour cream because friends were having us over for tacos. They said they'd provide lettuce leaf for shells and so for filling I brought over my raw chili and a batch of Ani Phyo's recipe for scramble (a cross between the Garden and the Spanish Scramble: almonds, sunflower seeds, turmeric, sea salt, red bell pepper, green onions, garlic, cilantro, tomatoes). I got the idea for the sour cream from this recipe for cream cheese. Here's my version:



Raw Vegan Sour Cream

In Vitamix:

  • About 2 cups of cashews soaked, drained and rinsed
  • water
  • juice of one lemon
  • 1/2 tsp. probiotic powder


Blend until utterly smooth and creamy. Leave out in a warm place until it achieves the desired level of sourness, then refrigerate.



The tacos, by the way, were fabulous. Not everyone ate my version, but some tried it. I also brought along the Kale Chips and even the most trepidatious agreed they "weren't bad." My friend Di, who is raw-curious, went to town on them. The thing about any new cuisine I think (I've found this to be true of vegetarian dishes as well) is that people have to first be open to thinking they could be good, otherwise even if they agree to taste it they do so with the expectation it will be bad. You see this phenomenon most obviously with kids, but adults are guilty of it too: if you don't think something will be good, it won't be.

Yesterday I also put together a batch of bread -- both recipes I looked at (from Matt Amsden's Rawvolution and Ani Phyo's Raw Food Kitchen) had onions in them and I wanted a bread that might be good with nut butter or something sweet on them, so I started with Ani Phyo's recipe, eliminating the savory ingredients, substituting white sesame for black, and adding raisins. It's still in the dehydrator so I don't know how it turned out yet.

Anyway, here's what I've been eating for the past couple of days:

Day Seven:
  • 10 am: raw buckwheat granola and brazil nut milk
  • 11 am: Raw green smoothie (4 stalks organic kale, 1 1/2 bananas, 1 papaya, 2 satsumas, 1 organic apple -- I kept adding fruit because I didn't anticipate the strong flavor of the kale, so I wound up with a huge batch. I drank half and refrigerated the rest)
  • 2 pm: 1/2 Larabar cinnamon roll and 1/2 Larabar apple pie, shared with my daughter while shopping
  • 3:15 pm: Avocado with Celtic sea salt
  • 4 pm: Bowl of raw chili and sparkling mineral water
  • 6:30 pm: Rest of my morning smoothie
  • 9:30 pm: A few kale chips
  • 10 pm: raw buckwheat granola with brazil nut milk


Day Eight:
  • 7 am: Raw green juice (2 stalks of organic celery, 1 organic tomato, handful of organic arugula, handful of organic cilantro, strained). Drank half of this and threw the rest away.
  • 9 am: Raw autumn squash cookie
  • 9:30 am: Ani Phyo's scramble
  • noon: Raw smoothie (several organic carrots with tops, satsuma, organic apple, 1 stalk of celery -- I ran out of dark leafy greens)
  • 4:30 pm: Raw autumn squash cookie
  • 7:30 pm onward (at a friend's house): drank club soda while I snacked on baby carrots, sugar snap peas, dried pears, walnuts, kale chips. Ate a raw taco (lettuce leaf, tomatoes, avocado, raw chili, raw scramble) and some mixed fruit (apples and bananas with the canned mandarins picked out) with a bit of the "sour" cream, which hadn't gotten very sour yet.
  • Throughout the day: snacked randomly on kale chips
  • Middle of the night after waking: salted peanuts (not raw)


Day Nine:

No comments:

Post a Comment